Confessions Of A…Celebrity Hair Stylist

Celebrities love their hairstylists, don’t they? It’s not surprising that Jennifer Aniston has stood firmly by stylist Chris McMillan since the Friends days. Her hair is deemed by many to be certainly one of her most attractive features, and McMillan played no small part in this, creating that much-copied ’90s classic, ‘The Rachel.‘ 

Both are fast friends, similar to Gisele and her stylist pal Harry Josh, who looks after her sensational mane. We can only imagine that being famous makes having a hairdresser buddy almost essential, what with the cycle of fashion shows, premieres, and awards ceremonies to attend, but what does the work entail? We asked one hairstylist with a clientele, including A-list actors, TV stars, and models what it’s like... 
What’s the most active part of one’s job? 
To be able to make people smile and feel well about themselves.

And the worst? 
Most likely, the long hours and travel. 

What’re the grossest aspects of the work? 
Sometimes a client will come in with head lice. Horrible. 

Perhaps you have had a client throw a fit? 
When I was beginning, there is a client who sat down at the basin, shaking and gripping the arms of her chair. She started asking a million questions in regards to the shampoo, and I snapped and said: “I’m not getting paid enough for this – just allow me to wash your hair!” Next, she liked me and wouldn’t let someone else touch her hair!

Do you find your clients confide in you? 
Almost like being a psychiatrist, you have to make your clients feel well about themselves. Plus, you may be the sole person they’re near who’s not in their social circle, so they think they can tell you anything. 

What has been your career highlight? 
Shooting in the Maldives... and looking after Kim Kardashian. 

Can you visit celebrities’ homes to cut their hair? 
Yes, all the time. I’ve been to some incredible houses – estates. 

Perhaps you have had any truly horrible clients? 
Yes, though only one comes in your thoughts in all my years as a hairstylist: one very diva-ish reality TV star who, because she originates from money, decided to talk with everyone on set like they indeed were all her staff. It had been the rudest thing I’ve ever witnessed, and I blacklisted her; I couldn’t use her ever again. 

How are you at handling diva-ish clients? 
I’m perfect! A lot of that behavior originates from their insecurities, and you have to make yourself their bitch! Which makes them feel safe. And at the end of the day, they’re paying you.
 Are you experiencing any hair horror stories? 

A makeup artist I know was shooting on a tropical island, and the model he was working together with wanted to dry her hair after getting away from the water. They had a heater onset, and the girl decided to wipe her Best hair salon Boca in front of it, that was a foolish move to make since it went up in flames. She was okay, but several inches got burned off. 



Can you ever need to talk a client out of an unfortunate hairstyle?
Absolutely; if your client breaks up with someone and they’re emotionally traumatized, often they’ll want to cut all their hair off or choose a drastic new color. I always talk to them from it because they’re emotional. Having a significant change when you’ve been through something similar to that’s never a great idea. 

What’s your own favorite women’s haircut?
Long and layered. 

Do hair stylists ever give one another cut? 
Yes. I possess a conservative haircut, and in the first noughties, another stylist offered to provide me a trim. I sat there watching my hair go flying off, and when he was done, I had a kind of mohawk/mullet. It was terrible because I couldn’t even say anything, he just went ahead and did it. 

Can you ever give your friends free haircuts? 
No. I’m generally so tired after work that the final thing I might like to do is someone’s hair. 

What’re your working hours like? 
I did a TV commercial recently, and it had been a 14-hour day. Sitting on concrete killed my feet. It’s exhausting, but it’s very varied – sometimes I will be working together with a client for a red carpet event, other times its commercials or shoots. I like it all and love the variety. 

ARE YOU EXPERIENCING A POPULAR CELEB CLIENT AT THIS TIME?

YES, BUT I CAN’T TELL YOU.